Sunday, February 7, 2010

Respectable

On my way home everyday I exit the highway and go on an exit ramp toward the town where I live. As I drive on this ramp, I can look to my right and see an underpass that goes beneath the bridge I cross. This underpass always entices me to look and part of my routine is to imagine what it is like to hang out there.

A bunch of people have made this spot, their place to go after work, their "Charlie Browns" I suppose or their bowling alley, depending on who you hang out with. It has really become quite a community hang out.

When driving by I frequently think to myself, do these people who hang out under there know what they look like to the passersby? Do they know that they represent the not so nice part of society? Or do they just think this is how life is and that they must keep pushing on like the rest of us? Or do they think everyone's life should involve chatting under a bridge?

I mean, there were a few weeks when the borough (not city) was doing construction on the bridge and had to send its pedestrians (I live in a walkable town) under the bridge. I think most walkers planned their route to avoid the stretch that extended itself under the passageway. But it did seem like the clan below grew in those few weeks, as if the pedestrians decided to add the chat under the bridge to their commute. I wondered, did some people say to themselves, "Hey - since I am taking this walk under the bridge, why not hang out under it for part of my life."

I sometimes wish I could make that choice, if only to write a book about it. (Would it be exploitation...or could I convince myself it is just good journalism?).

It has been about a month or two since the construction on top the bridge ceased and the walking over the bridge resumed.

As I drive by now I let my eyes drift and observe what goes on down under the bridge because I think I carelessly dream of living amongst the bridge dwellers.

But this week, I noticed something different....

Could it be? Could it be that they have civilized themselves? Maybe they are preparing a place for me, it is my time...

It took about 7 days to let it sink in, but I finally affirmed - they have a recliner and a garbage can at the hang out spot now.

It really brightens up the place, and makes me question my choice of becoming a homeowner. Maybe dwelling beneath the underpass might be a better option.

My kids wouldn't mind living near the river, under a concrete slab with cars whizzing by...

...now, of course, since there is somewhere to put up your feet and throw away diapers.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, but you could always still be removed and expected to go somewhere else if the police deem it necessary. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A move under the bridge would definitely allow for more of the spontaneity you love. And an overpass does require a lot less maintenance than a house, what with so little to clean, put away, and pay for.

    I'm not moving anytime soon, but I'll buy your book about the experience.

    ReplyDelete