Saturday, May 22, 2010

Unexpected



I drove Matt's car to work this past week since driving my own results in horrific pain (I drive a 6 speed shift; his is automatic - I know, a bit of role reversal, eh?)

I don't listen to the radio because I'm all about audio books and downloads of This American Life but my current audio book is pre-loaded into my 6 CD changer and his car's integrated iPod system doesn't recognize my TAL app so I've tuned in to whatever stations Matty has pre-programmed.

Well, yesterday, the morning hosts of one of those stations were talking a mile a minute about the season finale of Grey's Anatomy - a show I have NEVER watched - and man, they were so jazzed up about it that it reminded me of way back in the day when suddenly, on episode 14 of season four of Thirtysomething, Peter Horton's character Gary was killed in a car accident.

That Thirtysomething moment is, to this day, my most shocking television moment ever. I'll never forget it: it was February 12th, 1991 and even though I was a 17 year old high school senior, I loved that show and was destroyed by Gary's death (remember, we all thought Nancy was going to die, not Gary!). My other Thirtysomething loving friends (Deb, Megan, and Gretchen S.) and I even held a funeral for him the following weekend - that's just how profound that television moment was for us.

Obviously, I had to know what happened on Grey's, despite not knowing a single character's name and still associating Patrick McDermott with Can't Buy Me Love fame. So last night before we went out to meet up with the Amitsis' to enjoy some Greek food by the water in Edgewater, I went online to get some info and came across a Yahoo article with the episode embedded on the page (isn't Hulu amazing?). I hit play and for the next hour and a half, I was glued to my laptop.

Now, I've never watched a program on my laptop - I find it annoying: I like a big screen and a seamless view that is not interrupted by spinning rainbows - but I watched until Matt was standing over me with his keys in his hand. This morning, I woke up and went straight to the computer and watched the remaining 32 minutes.

All I can say is oh. my. god.

Wow. Twenty minutes in, Matt came running out of the bedroom to see if I was ok: he thought I was sobbing because of my ridiculous pain that REFUSES to go away when in actuality, I was bawling my eyes out because it took just one episode for me to become ridiculously emotionally attached to all of the characters.

It was, by far, the best two hours of television I've ever watched, which is bizarre since it's a series that has many seasons that I've never watched.

If you haven't seen it, go immediately here and watch it; it will be time well spent.

3 comments:

  1. Did you see "Life Goes On" when it originally aired (1989-93)? I saw it last summer and almost cried after every episode!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I love this show, but I am two weeks behind on my DVR (I haven't been watching much TV yet!) and still havent seen LAST WEEKS episode! Everyone keeps talking about it though, and I'm dying! I still have no idea what happened!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've watched Grey's since day one. I was riveted for the entire 2 hour finale. It was crazy!

    I'm stopping by from SITS to say hello.

    ReplyDelete